Thursday's Forget Me Not Thought, Part Duex

"Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice."

I'll admit that I don't sail through life thinking, “Am I committing my time and energies to the things that matter most?”  It's more like "If the kids eat dinner right now, it's only two more hours 'til bed.  And we haven't done homework yet.  Oh, look at their rooms.  Oh, look at the laundry.  Oh, I forgot to ___________!"  The whirling dervish of life is my most constant companion.  It leaves me tired, frustrated, and lonely.  It's so much easier to focus on the essential non-essentials.  I don't think this is very different from most people I know.  It's extremely easy to get caught up in life, all the while forgetting to really live.  Forgetting to stop, to smile, to laugh, to dance.  Forgetting to put down the camera and watch the moments.  Forgetting to stop reading books, to read faces instead.  Forgetting to stop connecting online, and start connecting in life.  And then getting frustrated for not stopping.

"There are so many good things to do, but we can’t do all of them. Our Heavenly Father is most pleased when we sacrifice something good for something far greater with an eternal perspective. Sometimes, that may even mean nurturing small but beautiful forget-me-not flowers instead of a large garden of exotic blooms."

What blooms am I planting today?  Today I:

Sacrificed a couple hours of school to take a nap.  (It was nice, but I didn't finish my work so it will have to be completed tomorrow or Saturday or maybe Sunday.)

Sacrificed my time to pick up my niece and son from school.  (Worth it, especially since I got to talk AT my nice about her future.  She's very lovely, extremely smart, and almost 15.  The world at her feet...ahhh, how fleeting.)

Sacrificed family time to play a game on the computer.  (Hrm.  But I did enjoy myself.  Should I feel guilty?  I haven't decided yet if I feel mom-woman-unnecessary-type-guilt, or actual-what-was-I-thinking-type-guilt.)

Sacrificed more game time to make dinner (spaghetti, yummy) and a soupy cobbler dessert (made with Bisquick and oh so delicious.  I feel a recipe post coming soon ish) that eventually cooked through.  {Patting my own back here.}

Horticulturists agree:  A few nice blooms with just a couple of stinky stickers. 

I can handle that. 




Read the first Thursday's Forget Me Not Thought here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!